Extract from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929

BABRAHAM (anciently called Badburgham) is a parish and village, in a quiet rural spot on a branch of the river Granta at the foot of the Gog-Magog hills, 2 miles north from Pampisford station and 2¾ north-east from Whittlesford station both on the London North Eastern railway, 4½ north-west from Linton and 7 south-east from Cambridge, in the hundred of Chilford, union and petty sessional division of Linton county court district of Cambridge, rural deanery of Camps and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely. The church of St. Peter, situated in the park, about 100 yards west of the Hall, is a building of rubble, chiefly in the Perpendicular style, and consists of chancel, clerestoried nave, aisles, large north and south porches and an embattled western tower containing 2 bells: the chancel retains a piscina and sedilia, and has some Early English windows, and on the south side of the chancel arch is a trefoiled niche: the tower is a very early structure, perhaps pro-Norman, and has a rude arch: in the south aisle is a marble monument, with two figures, to Richard Bennet esq. ob. 1658, and Sir Thomas Bennet bart. ob. 1667, who were formerly owners of the parish; there are also several memorials to the Adeane family, bearing date 1802, 1847, 1870 and 1853: the church affords 250 sittings, 200 being free. The register dates from the year 1561. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £236, with 3 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of Charles Robert Whorwood Adeane esq. C.B., J.P. (lord lieut.), and held since 1925 by the Rev. Alexander Hepburn Thomas M.A. of Christ's College, Cambridge. There arc six almshouses and a school here, with this inscription above the centre doorway:-" This school and hospital were erected and endowed by the munificence of Mrs. Judith Bennett, daughter of Sir Levinus Bennett bart. and augmented by the liberality of James Bush esq. and L. Bush esq. his son, Anno D. 1732:" the almshouses are for the benefit of six poor widows or spinsters, with an allowance of 4s. 3d. per week each. Near the village, standing in a park of about 200 acres, is Babraham Hall, a red-brick mansion with stone facings in the Elizabethan style, pleasantly situated in the centre of the park, and surrounded by gardens and pleasure grounds which have been laid on with great taste: it was rebuilt by the late Henry John Adeane esq. (grandfather of the present owner) in the year 1832, and is the property and residence of Charles Robert Whorwood Adeane esq. C.B., J.P. (Lord-Lieut. of the county), who is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is gravel and chalk; subsoil chalk. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 2,307 acres; the population in 1921 was 238.